Readers

Sunday, August 7, 2016

Whirlwind NYC!

Wow! What a weekend!! We got back today from our girl's NYC trip for my daughter's She's The First conference. I was pleasantly surprised that I did enjoy NYC. I wasn't sure what I would think of a large city like NYC. I have been to LA and DC but knew this would be different. The trip planning started back in April. My daughter attended this conference last year with 3 friends but this year she invited me. It would be her, a friend of her's, my friend and me. Well, at the last minute my friend had to cancel due to a family emergency so my sister in law gladly agreed to come. We had an early morning flight and arrived in NYC at 1:00pm.



It was a little bumpy flight. I had a first time flyer and 2 nervous flyers with me. We landed and all breathed a sigh of relief. Let the fun begin!! Well....first we have to figure out how to get a taxi. I knew to only use the yellow taxi cars but what I had not read in all my research was there is a taxi stand outside of Laguardia Airport. Once we figured this out, we got in line with a million other people. It really wasn't that bad. A short wait and we were on our way to our hotel near Times Square. It was really in the Garment District but it was a great hotel.



We check into Even Hotel - Times Square South and our room is ready! Awesome! I had wanted a high floor so we have a view but they only had a 2nd floor available. We gladly took it as we were tired and wanted to rest.


Our view!! Isn't it lovely. ;-) I can't believe I didn't take a single picture of the room.

We grabbed some lunch at a nearby pub and it was great food. We rested up for our Harbor Lights Cruise on Circle Line Sightseeing Cruises. I was most excited about this tour. We bought our tickets online and printed at home. I highly recommend this as it is crowed there. So I am a big planner as you know, I had used the MTA.com trip planner to figure all of our adventures out to make sure I knew in advance where to go. I took pictures of the directions because there is no reception in the subway tunnels. I knew we needed to walk down 8th Ave to 42nd to grab our M42 bus going to the Circle Line. We headed out of our hotel and stopped by the subway station on our street to get our metro card. We found the bus and the ride was uneventful. Now...the ticket we printed said to arrive 45 minutes early. DO THIS!!! It was crowded and the seats are first come first serve. We waited in line til 30 minutes before our time for them to board. We grabbed seats up top.



The cruise has a guide who had us laughing throughout the tour. It was well worth the $38 price tag. We all loved it and saw many great sights!! I highly recommend this!!











After the cruise was over, we figured out that we didn't allow enough money on the metro card for a bus ride back so we walked back. There was tons of people and we never felt unsafe. We ended up eating at Tick Tock Diner for a late meal. I was not impressed with this restaurant. The service was poor and the food just bleh.

We call it a night as the girls have early conference and we are going to the 9/11 Memorial and Museum on Friday.

Our first subway ride went off without any issues whatsoever and we have our first run in with all the people selling things on the sidewalks. We learned to say "No Thank You" and keep walking.

The 9/11 Museum was quite moving and draining. Afterward I just wanted to chill out and ponder everything. We didn't buy our tickets in advance so we wanted to get there early. We were able to get right in. I highly recommend this but would not bring small children due to all the images and videos.













Later this day, we ventured out to explore.









We got turned around and since it was so hot decided a taxi ride back to the hotel was in order. Here are a few pictures from our crazy ride through Times Square.











We ordered delivery for dinner. Philly cheese-steaks and eclairs.



The sandwich was so good but I never ate my eclair.

Next on our adventure was the Natural History Museum on Saturday. This is our last full day.

























That night we meet up with the girls for dinner and shopping. We ate at Lucy's on 34th. It was great tacos.



View from our table.



View of the Empire State Building while we were shopping.



It was a great trip but I was ready to get back home to my husband, fur babies and my bed. Funny how I am always ready to go on a trip but even more excited to get back home. <3

I am so glad I decided to go. There is so much to see and do. I think if I ever go back I want to go in the fall when it is cooler. It was hot and humid there which makes for long days walking around. Our hotel was amazing and I highly recommend it. Everyone was so helpful around the city. We never felt unsafe and as in any place you need to use common sense. There are lots of crowds in the touristy areas so I am sure they have pick pockets but again common sense. One last thing I wanted to mention, I have heard all about the homeless in NYC but I wasn't prepared for the sights. My heart tugged at each one because I can't imagine what they go through and I am so blessed to have a job, house and food.

Thanks for stopping by! Until next time..........

No comments:

Post a Comment